Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The day after the election...

I am going to preceed this post letting you know that it's going to be political so if you don't agree with me you may want to skip this one, it's totally your call!
***************************************************************************************

I have to say that after watching the coverage last night I was so inspired and excited. I know that many people don't agree with my opinions but because of how big this is, I need to get it out of my system. I was very excited to see so many new voters, especially minorities. This country was built on minorities, we have no national language, we are all immigrants. I think for one thing young african americans can look up and strive to be a president because there is someone in the white house who looks like them. It is inspiring!

One thing that bothered me was when people said that they were angry that black people were voting for Barack just because he was black. Really? It seems like after the exit polls there were more white people who voted for McCain because Barack was black. I would rather have people vote FOR something than AGAINST something.

Call me an idealist but I went into social work because I believe that people, ALL people deserve a shot at a great life. I have seen and worked with plenty of families who were never given a chance and even with hard work can't get out of the hole. I have never seen a canidate, (besides Paul Wellstone) where he was an idealist, where he came from a "normal" background. Not a lot of money, single mother, and worked hard in his community to make it better. To me, those are the people that should lead the country.

I thought that McCain had a very good speech. He was insightful and gracious and I really enjoyed his speech. (Although all the boo-ing was pretty annoying) I feel that Obama is a uniter and will really try and make things work with both sides. This country is way too divided and I would like to see Americans come together during this time.

So, anyone who actually read all this- wow, you must be bored, or agree with me, or really pissed off right now! Either way, I'll take it! After 8 years of Bush I feel excited for our country and proud that we elected Barack. No more telling people you're Canadian when you travel outside of the country!

Now bring on the Christmas commercials!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Hoorah! Don't ever apologize--it's your blog. Say what you want. Sorry I didn't get the last 2 texts from you that night--I was crying by myself on the couch listening to his speech!

amrolih said...

I love the passion and excitement that this election has brought out. I think you're right on when you say we should vote for something rather than against something. I think baby Pershing will be lucky to have such a passionate mother!