Tuesday, December 9, 2008

30 Week freakout

30 Week Picture

Okay, so I just had my 30 week doctor's appointment and it went well. Bryan was able to come since he was off that day. It was nice to have him there, he really hasn't been able to come to any of them, besides the dramatic in and out appearance at the big ultrasound. So- weight is good, which my doctor was very careful about telling me how important it was for me to not gain too much. She didn't want me to try and get a 9 pounder out of this 5'2 body. She told me my weight looked excellent. Since I get to gain a pound a week, the last two appointments (a month apart) I have gained 3.8 pounds, not bad huh?
My blood pressure is nice and low which she was also happy with. And baby's heartbeat is around the 150's.
She measured my belly and I am measuring right on, then she felt around a bit and thinks he's head down, so please cross your fingers he stays that way!
All and all our stats look good! I go back in 3 weeks, then 2 after that, then EVERY WEEK!
Are you ready for that? Yeah, I'm not... this seems to be happening fast and whether I'm ready for it or not!
I am starting to get tired, heartburn is starting to make an appearance which is really great! Otherwise I really can't complain. I am working, not full time but working as much as I can, but will be done mid January- I'm excited for that!
We finally registered at Baby's R Us, which I was happy to get out of the way, and I decided not to register at Target. Everything I want they have at Baby's and it'll save another trip.
So this is where all you come in. Since I'm totally freaking out and needing some advice please give me some advice. Anything you know I will NEED, any info you wish you were told, just basically ANYTHING! My best resource are my mommy friends!!!!!
I am bummed that Bryan has a really busy three months and wont be around as much as most dad's. He doesn't even get more than two days in a row. It is hard, especially since he has been so awesome through the whole pregnancy. He supports my cravings, tells me I look good when I feel like a whale and likes to feel the baby kick just as much as I do. Since we don't have a lot of people down here, when he is home we spend a lot of time together and it has been so nice. It was hard to get used to him going to back to 80 hours a week when he had a week off (since he didn't get called during his on-call week) plus our vacation. To make myself feel better I realize how many women have to do all this alone, without a supportive partner. Even if he's not here as much as other spouses get to be, when he's here he's wonderful and I know he will be even more amazing once we have someone else to take care of. I'm very lucky, and I really try and remember that every day. Especially the days I feel sorry for myself when I see all the spouses in the waiting room at the doctor, or talking about paternity leave or 9-5 kinda guys who get weekends and evenings off. I know it could always be more difficult and we are lucky to have each other, a home, Bryan has a wonderful career that he loves and someday will pay our bills!
Wow- I didn't know I was going to go there but apparently I needed to let that all out!!!
So, what I really wanted to say is, I would love some emails or comments on advice. I am in need of any advice, small or not to help me get organized in the baby's room and in the house, mentally and physically to be as best prepared as I can. Yes, I know, there is nothing I can do to fully prepare but at least a little prepared?
At least I've held a leg during labor right? That's gotta count for something...
This is how I want all my pictures to look like, but Bryan makes me smile...

This is how I really feel at 30 weeks!!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

here is some advice from me (take it or leave it... every baby and mom is different and i wouldn't ever judge anyone on what they choose to do :).

- don't worry about the actual delivery too much. your first couple weeks of motherhood are going to be way harder than the delivery.
- you will feel better if you force yourself to shower and get dressed in the morning (anytime before noon counts as morning).
- expect to have the baby blues, not right away maybe, but a few weeks in. repeat this to yourself over and over: IT GETS BETTER. it really does. the first six weeks are only six weeks long.
- i loved 'the baby whisperer' and read it a few times over. it's a good middle of the road way to teach your baby to sleep well without going to the side of constant attachment or the side of letting them cry it out.
- also in reference to sleeping - and this is from the baby whisperer book - start as you mean to go on. meaning, if you don't want to be always walking your baby around the house to get him to sleep when he's 9 months old, don't do it when he's a newborn either. the best advice i ever got actually was to have max sleep in his own crib. i'm really happy we did that. some people co-sleep and it works for them but it wasn't for us.
- swaddle, swaddle, swaddle. you'll probably be all, but my baby doesn't like to be swaddled - oh no, he DOES. :) receiving blankets don't work, you'll need something bigger (or those wrap things made for swaddling).
- you may be one of those people that are absolutely in love with their baby right away, or you may not be (i wasn't). it's okay if you feel like that, it takes time to get to know your baby.
- BE NICE TO YOURSELF. lean on bryan a lot and don't worry about the small stuff. if everyone is getting fed and getting (at lesat some) sleep, you're doing just great.

hope that helps and doesn't scare you. :) you'll be awesome, don't worry!

Erin LaRayne Agosto said...

Hang in there! Let me know when you are ready for Chipotle and Cold Stone, gotta get that in there at least once for old times sake.

Tiffany and Brian said...

I just love this post. It reminds me of pregnancy and all the uncertainty. Afterwards all I could think of was why didn't anyone tell me that!
Now I know... The secret society of motherhood. There are somethings that are unexplainable and even once explained you really won't get it until you are there and I'm so excited for you to be a mother.
Basic advice...
Labor is about being relaxed even in the most intense moments... Music is good, esp at Mayo it is noisy around and you will need to focus. Use the labor ball.. I thought the lady was nuts but it did take the pressure off.
What you need...FOOD, diapers, and a baby blanket. FOOD is the most important because you will be so hungry like you've never felt hunger before. Freeze meals and buy lots of snacks/ water to have near a place you will nurse the baby.
Think twice about a ton of equipment (I know people will disagree on this). Babies even newborns need tummy time and play time on the floor. Swings, vibrating chairs, jumping things, standers are all so that you can make dinner or shower. We started with nothing and only ever used the vibrating chair thing (bounce with foot for sanity) Besides they are all plastic, (not green) and used for only moments so I'd just by used or wait to see what the baby needs, that's me.
I understand that not every moment is perfect and happy but looking back on Adelyn as an infant I don't even remember her colic phase, I just remember how we would stare at her and touch her little nose and watch her sleep.
It's incredible, unreplaceable, and forever life changing. Enjoy each last moment of pregnancy and each first moment of motherhood.

amrolih said...

Your baby bump is adorable - and you look fabulous! Keep the freakouts coming because they are completely normal. I would be more concerned if you didn't have any. Keep the photos coming - goofy faces and all!

Katherine said...

I agree with Kim's advise. It's hard in the beginning but it does get easier and more managable. Few esentials from a c-section mom:
TAKE THE LITTLE RED PILLS!!! They help you poop and boy that first poo is a killer! The last thing you want to do again is try to push a boulder out your butt from all the pain meds. Demand you are given the little red pill on day one because if you wait (like I did) you will be screaming like a little girl on the potty (like I did).
Take your pain meds. Baby will be absolutely fine if you take your pain meds as prescribed. Your going to need all the help you can get to be comfortable so you can be a mommy and do mommy things.
Cry if you want to cry, even if you don't know what the hell you're crying about. The hormone drop will make you feel crazy but it will soon even out. Your body goes through it's own little shock because it didn't "just" have a baby, it HAD a baby and WOW it's just as much a miracle to create one as it is to recover from delievering one.
The instantanious bond doesn't happen for everyone so don't be disappointed if it comes at a different time. I didn't fall in love with Annastasia until she was 5 months old, and Kim didn't either so you have fellow mommy's who know what it's like. Call us anytime you're scared or doubtful or feel lost in motherhood. We mothers are the best supports because we've all been there and we don't want anyone else to feel sad or lost like we may have.
Let people pamper you and do everything for you (even if it's folding your undies). The best place for mommy to be those first couple of weeks is on the couch with your feet up. people WANT to help and be there for you so let them. There will be plenty of time down the road for you to be super mom.
Love you babe! You look gorgeous.